Local shoppers are being given the chance to meet some of the hardest workers in the region, the Hogarth Honey Bees, and taste the fruits of their labour.
Food and drink emporium mmm… and glug…, based on Grainger Street, Newcastle, will host over 20,000 local honey bees this Saturday (6 July) from 1pm onwards.
The free event will give youngsters (and those not so young) the chance to taste the honey and find out more about protecting the much-needed insects.
mmm… and glug… owner Simone Clarkin hopes to not only get families to taste the honey, but also to find out how to encourage bees to their own gardens and neighbourhoods.
She said: “We certainly expect the shop to be ‘buzzing’ after last year’s meet the bees event literally stopped people in their tracks outside our shop.
“Bees are pollinators and play a huge part in the UK’s food chain. One third of the food we eat would not be available, but for the hard work of our bees.
“When the Hogarth Honey bees visited us last year we found many people, particularly children, who had never tasted honey before – and they loved it!”
Michael McCartney of Hogarth Honey, based in Wolviston Grange, is looking forward to once again being asked lots of questions about his much-loved bees.
He said: “Bees fly about 55,000 miles to make just one pound of honey, that’s over twice around the world. And honey was even used as currency in Roman times.
“But, bees are in danger of disappearing from our environment. Farming practices continue to disturb the natural habitats of solitary bees and bumblebees.
“I would love to talk to as many potential beekeepers and amateur gardeners as possible when we visit mmm… and glug… so we can spread the word about protecting our local bees.”
Artisan bakers, Pink Lane Bakery will be providing hand-made Hogarth honey oat loaves to taste at the event.
mmm… and glug… expanded its business with a move to a larger headquarters in Newcastle city centre in late 2017 and plans to launch a ‘click and collect’ online shop.
Want to know more about Hogarth Honey?
- Free tasting: This Saturday (6 July) from 1pm to 4pm at mmm… glug…, 129 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5AE.
- Call us on: 0191 222 1818
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: mmm_newcastle
- Facebook: mmmnewcastle
- Instagram: mmmnewcastle
More tasting events at mmm… and glug… (all from 1pm unless otherwise stated)
- Saturday, 6 July – Opal Sunshine: Taste our locally-made hot pepper sauces
- Friday, 12 July – Three brothers Brewing: Taste local beers that perfectly match with great food
- Saturday, 13 July – Teesdale Cheese: Taste award-winning cheeses from this local cheesemaker
- Friday, 19 July – Gusbourne Wines: Taste award-winning English sparkling wines (3pm to 6pm)
- Saturday, 20 July – Gusbourne Wines: Taste award-winning English sparkling wines
- Saturday, 20 July – Treboom Brewery: Taste Yorkshire -brewed beers with a musical theme
- Saturday, 20 July – Peelham Farm: Taste award-winning organic charcuterie made in the Scottish borders.