mmm… and glug… is hosting a free tasting on Saturday, 5 May with Opal Sunshine, so customers can taste her hot, fresh and zingy pepper sauces.
Opal Ward is Belizean – and her beloved Belize is her spiritual home, her roots and her inspiration for cooking.
Belize is such a beautiful country. with its pristine lush natural terrain, extensive marine wonders and its diversity.
As the only English speaking country in South America, the Caribbean Sea rests to the East, Mexico to the North and Guatemala to the South and West.
With a population of approximately 368,000 (tiny right!), it stretches just 174 miles long and 68 miles wide.
Opal Sunshine hot sauces at mmm… and glug…
It was about a year ago when Opal was at a food festival selling her Belizean tamales, and instead of buying a shop bought hot sauce she decided to make her own.
Opal started with the ‘Original Hot Sauce’, which took a lot of time and testing (and tasting).
Initially, she took a family recipe and experimented to create a balance of heat and more importantly flavour.
From the original came the ‘Lime-anero’, a heavily infused lime flavoured pepper sauce with plenty of heat and full of flavour.
The mildest of them followed – Opal’s ‘Mayan Mango’. a fusion of mango, lime and ginger – great flavours which fuse beautifully together.
A sweet, fresh milder sauce. Yet still hot.
Want to know more about Opal Sunshine?
- Free tasting: Saturday, 5 May from 1pm at mmm… and glug…, 129 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5AE.
- Call us on: 0191 222 1818
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: mmm_newcastle
- Facebook: mmmnewcastle
- Instagram: mmmnewcastle
More tasting events at mmm… and glug… (all from 1pm unless otherwise stated)
- Friday, 11 May – 40 Kola: Taste the new north east made ‘proper’ Kola (11.30am to 3pm)
- Friday, 11 May – Masons Gin: Taste Yorkshire-distilled tea and lavender gins (4pm to 7pm)
- Saturday, 12 May – Parlour Made: Taste award-winning local cheeses, including Durham Camembert
- Saturday, 12 May – Durham Gin: Taste locally-made Durham gin, vodka and liqueurs
- Saturday, 19 May – Consett Ale Works: Taste Consett’s classic ales, as well as their newly launched beers
- Friday, 25 May – Lisbon Wines: Taste our small producer Portuguese wines with Victor.