We often get a whole host of questions about how to use the products and ingredients in our shop – from the extraordinary array of herbs, spices and chillies, through to the ever trendy black garlic…not forgetting the adventurous and curious flavours of cordials on hand.
So, we thought it was about time to start sharing some of our favourite hints, tips and recipes to get you going and maybe even debunk some myths along the way.
Today we’re focusing on Pomegranate Molasses, why?
There’s so much you can do with this ancient and wondrous ingredient – it’s sweet but sour, thick, sharp, rich, deep and completely versatile.
As a native fruit of Persia, the pomegranate (and pomegranate molasses) is synonymous with Middle Eastern, African and Mediterranean cooking, which is where the ingredient really does shine.
It adds a fruity almost citric taste to any dish meaning there’s no excuse as to why you can’t get creative with the ingredient.
It can work as a super substitute for balsamic vinegar, honey, or even lemon juice – anything you want to imbue with a richness, tartness, sweetness.
Think drinks, soups, stews, dressings and desserts…no longer may this ingredient sit sorrowfully in the back of your cupboard!
Here are three recipes to get you going: – stick with it
- Roast Chicken with pomegranate and mint – If you like a good sticky marinade this one is for you…a total mid-week staple!
- Pomegranate Cake – sweet, sharp, creamy and completely comforting.
Put a pin in this one
- Burnt sprouts with pomegranate and sesame – Now, we know it’s not the season for sprouts but this one is to remember for Christmas!
You could make your own at home, but we promise you it’s probably not worth it.
Pomegranate molasses is made from the fruits fresh juice, which is reduced to a thick, luxurious syrup to enhance and intensify the natural flavours.
Technically it’s not really a molasses, just a delicious concentrated syrup.
Now, it might sound easy to make yourself, but fresh pomegranates are really expensive and often a right faff, so why make your life difficult making it yourself?!
Oh! And looking for something a bit different? Don’t like pomegranate? Well don’t you worry – we stock Cherry Molasses too!
Want to know more about our grocery ingredients?
- Visit: our shop at mmm… glug…, 129 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5AE.
- Call us on: 0191 222 1818
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: mmm_newcastle
- Facebook: mmmnewcastle
- Instagram: mmmnewcastle
Free tasting events at mmm… and glug… (all from 1pm)
- Saturday, 26 May – Hogarth Honey: Taste Spring 2018 honey and meet 20,000 bees who made it
- Saturday, 26 May – Brinkburn Street Brewery: Taste beers from one of the closest breweries to our shop
- Saturday, 9 June – Twice Brewed: Taste Bardon Mill-brewed beers, including their ‘Ale Caesar’ amber
- Saturday, 16 June – Firebrick Brewery: Taste Blaydon-brewed beers, including ‘Elder Statesman’ bitter for the perfect Father’s Day gift
- Saturday, 16 June – Fat Lass Jams: Taste Bridget’s locally made jams and preserves, including her ‘Newkie Brown’ chutney.