Lovers of spicy food and ale are being given the chance to enjoy the best of both worlds with a chilli beer brewed for a popular local food and drink business.
North Shields craft brewery, Flash House Brewing and Newcastle’s mmm… and glug… have joined forces to create a six-chilli stout to mark the food emporium’s move to larger city-centre premises.
Bottles of ‘Shy Bairns Get Stout Six’ Mexican chilli stout are being launched at mmm… and glug…’s current Grainger Arcade store from 1pm on Saturday, 28 October.
The free tasting, with Flash House Head Brewer Jack O’Keefe, is being held to say farewell to mmm… and glug…’s current Grainger Market home, before they relocate to larger premises on nearby Grainger Street.
mmm… and glug… owner Simone Clarkin is delighted to have created a perfect local beer to reflect the store’s love of cooking, recipes, food and drink.
She said: “Our customers love Flash House’s beers and they also love our huge range of chillies for cooking up great Mexican recipes.
“We spoke to Jack and MIlda about creating our own beer and making his next ‘Shy Bairns’ stout one with ancho, cascabel, chipotle, guajillo, mulato and pasilla chillies to mark our forthcoming expansion plans.”
Jack O’Keefe of Flash House Brewing, said: “mmm… and glug… and their customers have been really supportive of my beers since we set up in 2016.
“The ‘Shy Bairns’ series has been very popular, and I loved the idea of combining six smoky, spicy Mexican chillies into my latest brew.
“It has been going down well at our brewery tap house in North Shields, as well as in local bars – so we can’t wait to get those bottles opened for the tasting on the 28th.”
mmm… and glug…, which was set up in 2008, is expanding its business with a move to a larger 1,500sq foot headquarters in Newcastle city centre this month and the launch of a ‘click and collect’ service and online shop soon.
Flash House Brewing is nestled on a hill in North Shields, overlooking the River Tyne, surrounded by workshops and fishmongers.
The brewery, only a stone’s throw away from the revitalised Fish Quay, brews small batch, expertly crafted world beers in the old heartland of the industrial North East.
The free Shy Bairns Get Stout Six chilli beer tasting (for over 18s only) is being held at mmm… and glug…, 10-13 Grainger Arcade, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 5QF from 1pm on Saturday, 28 October 2017.
Want to know more about Shy Bairns chilli beer?
Other events at at mmm… and glug… (all from 1pm)
- Saturday, 4 November: Two Birds Spirits – come and taste our countryside-inspired gins and flavoured vodkas, including their legendary Christmas Spice vodka
- Saturday, 11 November: Peelham Farm – come and taste delicious hand-cured organic charcuterie from the Borders
- Saturday,11 November: Lilliard Gin – come and meet Kate the distiller and taste her Jedburgh-distilled craft gin
- Saturday, 25 November: The Lakes Distillery – come and taste gins, vodkas and the ONE whisky
- Saturday, 2 December: Gonzalez Byass – come and taste Spanish wines and sherries
- Saturday, 9 December: Durham Gin – come and taste Durham’s handmade gins and liqueurs
- Saturday, 16 December: Gonzalez Byass – another chance to taste Spanish wines and sherries with Hamish from Gonzalez.
Coming soon …
- We are hoping to be in our new shop at 129 Grainger Street (opposite the old Barclays Bank) at the end of October. Watch out for news and opening events.
- Click and collect at mmm… and glug… To find out more sign up for news below.